Creativity is a big deal in the 21st-century classroom. Creativity does not just happen; it needs to be cultivated, and the cultivation of creativity in every kid starts from the classroom. Learning how to be more creative (and thus adaptable) – now that’s what prepares students for life beyond the classroom.
Creativity should not be relegated to English class or the art room. There are places for all to add creative elements to their school days. It’s important that we light the creative fire under Kids/students — otherwise, we’ll watch a nation entering a dark age with very little creativity. Creative thoughts are what took us to the Moon. We need to make sure that we remind students of the value of creativity, and that we give them every chance to show it in the classroom.
Creativity can be promoted or cultivated and here is the list of strategies that can help teachers to promote or cultivate creativity in the classroom.
Emotional Connection: Many types of research show that creativity can be cultivated best through emotional contacts. For instance, if teachers give the project to the students related to community problems like domestic violence. It can help in sprouting creativity because of the human touch and hence emotional connection in it.
Classroom Environment: Classroom environment plays a crucial role in cultivating creativity and confidence in students. Teachers can make classroom environment where each student’s voice matters a lot. Getting involved with the students in the community is the best way to give a push to their creativity. Here how teachers can make classroom environment more effective for their students.
• Permit frequent discussion and interaction amid students in the classroom.
• Make time for informal class opportunity for the students.
• Memorize each student’s name meanwhile ensure every student knows everyone’s name.
Use Of Different Models: You can use various models to promote creativity in the students. A perfect model can help in:
• Establishing connection amid the students’ real lives and classroom.
• Inspire innovation and create chances to resolve novel issues.
• Lookout ways to spread learning prospects at classroom and home
Risk-Taking: Risk-taking thinking or ability automatically prompts creativity. Therefore, teachers must encourage a risk-taking approach in the students. Here some of the strategies that teacher can follow to enhance risk-taking ability in their students.
• Offer safe environment that permits risk-taking
• Arouse willingness in the students to try new ideas
• Accept the mistakes made by students while trying new things
• Talk to other teachers and discuss what worked and what not.
Active Learning: Active learning includes a use of creative stuff like games, concepts, maps and study materials. Active learning can only be encouraged when a student enjoys the learning environment. Here are some ideas through which teachers can cultivate creative thought through active learning.
• Create interactions that provide students a lot problem-solving opportunity
• Give them a lot of opportunities for hands-on field work
• Organize round-table discussion time to time on interesting topics
• Permit students to create some of the questions for their upcoming exam